The STATDISK Sample Editor serves as a basic starting point for using STATDISK. Many of the modules in STATDISK require raw data in order to perform a statistical analysis. The STATDISK Data Window allows you to manually enter lists of raw data. Loading Triola Data Sets:
- Click the Data Sets menu
- Navigate to your Triola textbook and edition
- Select your data set. This will load the data into the Sample Editor and overwrite any data already present
- Here are important notes about the use of the STATDISK Data Window:
Loading external data sets from a file:
- Select 'Open' from the 'File' menu.
- Choose your file - Statdisk supports text files such as .txt and .csv files.
- STATDISK will try and automatically determine the structure of the file and how it is delimited. You will be presented with a window (shown here) that displays a preview of what the data will look like when imported to ensure you select the correct delimiter.
- If the first line of the data set contains the names of the columns, be sure to check the box 'Check here if the data contains column titles or headers'.
- If STATDISK cannot determine the file delimiter you can select either Comma, Tab, or Space delimited using the radio buttons. You can also type in your own delimiter in this window.
- When you are satisfied with how the data looks in the preview window, click the 'Finish' button to open the data set.
- Tip: to import data from an external program such as Excel or SPSS without copy/pasting, save it as a .csv file from the external program and then open it in STATDISK.
You can use the mouse to select columns by clicking the column header, rows by clicking on the row numbers or any group of cells by clicking and dragging.
Columns: Click on a column header to see options for managing the data within that column. Click and drag to select multiple columns. When you right click on a column, you will get a special context menu with data management tools:
- Rename this column: rename the text header for that column
- Sort with this column: see sort section below
- Copy this column: copies column content to the clipboard. Note: if you select multiple columns, this menu item will change and allow you to copy all selected columns to the clipboard
- Delete this column: This deletes the column completely and moves the other columns left. Note: if you select multiple columns, this menu item will change and allow you to delete all selected columns to the clipboard
- Explore this column: This will open the Explore Data window for this column and display numerous analyses and graphs for the data.
- Move column left/right: Moves the column to the left or right, swapping with the adjacent columns.
Rows: Click on a row number to see options for managing the data within that row. Click and drag to select multiple rows. When you right click on a row, you will get a special context menu with data management tools:
- Delete Selected Rows: deletes selected rows
- Cut/Copy/Paste: does the selected action with the relevant rows.
The Sample Editor also has several data tools listed across the top:
- Clear: Click on the CLEAR button to reset the Sample Editor, clearing any data within it.
- Copy: You can use this to either copy the data currently selected (highlighted), copy all the data on the entire Sample Editor, or to bring up the Copy Columns dialog from previous versions of STATDISK.
- Data Tools:
- Sort Data: opens the Sorting widget and allows you to sort data in ascending or descending order for either a single column or the whole Sample Editor.
- Add Columns/Rows: allows you to add additional columns or rows to the Sample Editor.